Personal injury law covers a broad area of circumstances and takes looks into a wide variety of factors. Cases like motor vehicle accidents, defective products, unsafe premises issues, such as slip and fall cases like dog bites, and matters like wrongful acts come under this category.
Action to be taken:
- Inform the police
- In case of injury related to road accidents report it to the insurance company.
- Report the injury to the doctor, to avoid complications.
- Collect all the evidences about the accident and injuries.
Time limit regarding notification to other party:
- Nine months from the date of injury.
- One month from instructing a lawyer.
- Personal injuries have a time of three years.
When to hire a personal injury lawyer:
- When the other party lawyer contacts you to enter into a settlement agreement.
- If you have to deal with an insurance company.
- If you have injury that require surgery or long term treatment, such as bran or head injury.
- If you have injuries that have caused you to miss your time from work or school.
- If you are unable to do your daily activities like eat food, dress up yourself.
Types of personal injury cases:
There are various kinds of personal injury laywer cases which we ignore at most of the times. Most common cases of personal injuries are medical malpractices case, car accident claims, defamation or libel claims, intentional tort claims, slip and fall or premises liability claims, and toxic tort cases.
A person who is successful at making personal claims is generally entitled to past and future medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering compensation. The court or jury will decide first on fault and then on damages.